The Faculty of Medicine, part of “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad has its own mission and objectives which are specific for the healthcare education, in accordance with the University Strategic Plan for Development, being consistent and promoting the principles and the objectives of the Charter of “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad.
The first generation of students in medicine started their studies in the academic year of 1992-1993.
Among the reasons behind the initiative of founding the Arad medical education and for the establishment of a faculty with a medical profile in Arad, the most important are:
- The old and powerful tradition of Arad medicine;
- The interest and support of the local authorities, both of those in the healthcare area and of the local public government, as well as the interest of other decision-making factors who were involved in the process;
- The geographical position of Arad, which facilitates the cross border cooperation with similar institutions from neighboring countries;
- The interest shown by the young people from the local community for the medical education (over 40% of the students in the faculties of medicine and dentistry and from the neighboring academic centers came from the municipality or from the county of Arad);
Within the process of differentiation and of institutional diversification of the higher education system of Romania, the Faculty of Medicine of “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad develops autonomously and responsibly, committed to a mission which integrates the new concept of medicine without borders in the context of the general strategy of integration into the European structures:
- The mission of training high-skilled medical staff – physicians, biologists and physio-kinesio-therapists, successfully integrated on national and international labor markets and updating their training, as well as providing via the residency in first and second specialty, the training of experts in the medical field. We respond to the demands from the highly qualified labor market through the specialties in the current structure of the Faculty. The institution has proved its competency and responsibility for being able to perform educational services with a quality which is consistent with the national and international standards;
- The mission of generating and outsourcing scientific knowledge, by training graduates at strong international standards in research or academic directions, hence contributing to the enrichment of the patrimony of the universal knowledge;
- The mission of providing the community with various social and cultural services;
- The mission of delivering entrepreneurial services requested by the beneficiaries at qualitative and competitive standards.
In order to entirely achieve its mission, the Faculty of Medicine evolves as follows:
- Considering the level / the duration of academic studies, it is a higher education institution combining the academic level of Bachelor degree (3-6 year), with the level of Master degree, residency and doctoral studies.
- Regarding the curriculum, the Faculty approached a new academic curriculum, of a European type, for all specialties;
- Considering the priority orientation towards advanced and entrepreneurial scientific research, the Faculty of Medicine together with the entire “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad has material assets and the required human resources which individualize it at national and international levels.
- The actions undertaken by the academic staff are mainly aimed at drawing in more Bachelor and Master degree students , PhD candidates, postdoctoral students, by involving them in the activity of scientific research. Moreover, the latter are involved in student clubs, round tables, scientific debates, sessions of scientific presentations, in the student sections. All the afore mentioned have been undertaken in order to achieve excellence at academic level, allowing thus the entry of the Faculty of Medicine, and, implicitly, of “Vasile Goldiș” Western University of Arad in the top 500 of the most prestigious Universities in the world, until 2025.