The Faculty of Medicine, part of the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad has its own mission and objectives which are specific for the healthcare education, harmonized with the Faculty and University Strategic Plan for Development, being consistent and promoting the principles and the objectives of the Charter of the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad.
The first generation of students in medicine started their studies in the academic year of 1992-1993.
Among the reasons for the initiative to lay grounds for the Arad medical education and for the establishment of a faculty with medical profile in Arad, the most important are:
- The old and powerful tradition of the Arad medicine;
- The local authorities’ interest and support, both of those from the healthcare area and of the local public government, as well as the interest of other decision-making factors who were involved in the process;
- The geographical position of Arad, which facilitates the cross border cooperation with similar institutions from neighboring countries;
- The interest shown by the young people from the local community for the medical education (over 40% of the students at the faculties of medicine from the neighboring academic centers came from the municipality or from the county of Arad);
Within the process of differentiation and of institutional diversification of the higher education system of Romania, the Faculty of Medicine of the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad develops autonomously and responsibly committed to a mission which integrates the new concept of medicine without borders in the context of the general strategy of integration into the European structures:
- The mission to train medical staff – physicians, biologists and physio-kinesiotherapists, with high skills, successfully integrated on the national and international labor markets and to update their training, as well as to provide via the residency in first and second specialty, the training of experts in the medical field. We respond to some demands from the highly qualified labor market by the specialties in the current structure of the Faculty. The institution has proved its competency and responsibility for being able to perform educational services with a quality which is consistent with the national and international standards;
- The mission to generate and send scientific knowledge, by training graduates at strong international dimension in research or academic directions, so contributing to the enrichment of the patrimony of the universal knowledge;
- The mission to provide the community with various social and cultural services;
- The mission to deliver the entrepreneurial services requested by the beneficiaries at quality and competitive terms.
In order to achieve entirely its mission, the Faculty of Medicine evolves as follows:
- Considering the level/ the duration of the academic studies, it is a higher education institution combining the academic level of Bachelor degree (3-6 year), with the level of Master degree, the residency and the doctoral studies.
- Considering the curriculum, the Faculty approached a new academic curriculum, of European type for all specialties;
- Considering the priority orientation towards the advanced and entrepreneurial scientific research, the Faculty of Medicine together with the “Vasile Goldiş” Western University of Arad has material assets and the required human resources which individualize it at national and international levels, by approaching some subjects of interest.
The actions taken by the academic staff aimed to draw in more Bachelor and Master students, PhD candidates, postdoctoral students, by involving them into the activity of scientific research. Moreover, they have been involved into student clubs, round tables, scientific debates, sessions of scientific communications, in the sections for the students. All this was made for the achievement of an excellent development at academic level, which to allow the entry of the Faculty of Medicine, and, implicitly, of the “Vasile Goldiș” Western University of Arad “into the top 500” of the most prestigious Universities in the world, until 2025.